|Started||Aug 25, 2020|
|Completed||Sep 30, 2020|
|Notes||This jacket has made good use of some luxury fabrics I have had for a few years. The outer fabric is a khaki cashmere wool coating, left over from making a long coat about 6 years ago. I did not have enough fabric remaining to make a full length version of this coat, hence the shorter jacket length. The jacket is lined with some lovely printed silk charmeuse, again stashed away for years awaiting the right project. All wool sections were interfaced with stitch reinforced interfacing, with the lapel fold lines taped. I did cheat on the sleeve vents, because leather bound buttonholes would have been too bulky there, so just stitched on the buttons through all the layers without buttonholes. This made the sleeve lining easier to install. I used small shoulder pads and constructed sleeve heads from pieces of the coat fabric.
The pattern instructions do not mention the leather trim in the pattern title at all, I assumed this trim was intended for the centre front sections. I decided instead to trim my shorter version at the waist seam with some brown leather that was left over from making a bag. A 1cm narrow strip of leather separates the upper and lower sections of the jacket, the pocket flaps are made from leather, and I bound the buttonholes with leather strips.
I am very pleased with this jacket, it fits well and has a really neat collar. The leather trimmings make it feel that little bit different!