|Name||Black denim jacket|
|Started||Oct 2, 2021|
|Notes||Making a jacket to wear with my skirt 5335.
This style is a casual one, with just the front lined. I plan to embroider some flowers on the patch pockets, to co-ordinate with the embroidery on my skirt. Resizing the flower design from the skirt would not work, so I have been learning how to create a new design to fit the pockets. This will be quite subtle, so as not to look “too much”.
Hopefully it will turn out ok…
The instructions for this jacket are terrible, really confusing. I could not have followed them if I didn’t already know how to make a jacket. The worst section relates to pocket construction. The pockets look simple, but they are not, also they would not work on fabric that frays easily (my fabric did). I cut additional pocket pieces as facings, made a “window” in these (unfortunate my photograph of this will not upload), sewed to the finished pockets right sides together, trimmed corners and turned through the pocket opening before pressing and stitching around the pocket opening to secure the facing window.
I have added a photograph to show how the front is assembled.
As the jacket back/sleeves are unlined, all fabric edges (seams/hems/facing) have to be finished. I used satin bias binding and am pleased with the result. I lined the front of the jacket with some brocade from the 1950’s, given to me 40 years ago and saved for a “special” project - perfect for this, as I only had a small piece. Nice to make use of this lovely old fabric.
Fastened with snap fasteners.
This jacket took a lot of work but I am very pleased with the finished result. It is a neat shape, a bit shorter than I would normally wear. I like the small slits at the sleeve hems and the rounded lapels.